How to get the Roaring '20s look at your wedding
The Omni Mount Washington Hotel would be a beautiful backdrop for a 20s themed wedding.
Though it’s an understatement to say no one ended up happy at the end of “The Great Gatsby,” the book and over-the-top Baz Luhrmann/Leonardo DiCaprio film are inspiring couples when it comes to creating a wedding theme. You can see our entire Great Gatsby-themed photo shoot here. Vintage has been in for a while now, but 1920s glam is pushing all other eras aside. Grab your coupe champagne glass and toast to this theme that’s all about romance, excess, decadence, glamour and having a good time. A couple of tips to achieve this style:
• Jenny Packham excels at channeling the Jazz Age with gorgeous beading, bias-cut silks and dramatic open backs.
• Put the “grand” back in “grand ballroom” with a magnificent, historic venue such as the Omni Mount Washington Hotel and Resort in Bretton Woods (pictured at right), Mountain View Grand Resort in Whitefield or the Wentworth by the Sea in New Castle.
• In the “Great Gatsby”movie, actress Carey Mulligan wore a spectacular pearl-and-diamond Tiffany & Co. headpiece. Styles that emulate this look are numerous (and much less expensive).
• T-bar shoes
• Really commit to the look with a full-length cap veil.
• Pretend Prohibition is back and then flout it with enthusiasm! Cocktails from this era are back in full force. Serve drinks like the Bee’s Knees, Mint Julep, Sidecar and Between the Sheets, or just keep the fizz (champagne) flowing. You can even get into the speakeasy fun and give your guests code names for drinks.
• Champagne and all things champagne cocktail were hugely popular in this era. Though some recipes can certainly get complicated, they can be as simple as the Elderflower Fizz from La Marca Prosecco. Add Elderflower Liqueur to the bottom of a chilled champagne glass and top with La Marca Prosecco. Garnish with a strawberry. Simple, elegant and delicious. Find other great recipes at lamarcaprosecco.com.