Wedding To-Do List
Planning a wedding can take up to a year or even longer. Here’s a checklist to help you keep track of all the details.
9 To 12 Months Before The Wedding
- Set the date. Holiday weekends may be difficult to book and expensive for out-of-town guests.
- Send engagement announcement to newspapers.
- Set a budget and discuss financial and planning responsibilities.
- Select and reserve wedding ceremony and reception sites. Wedding sites in major cities can book up to a year or more in advance.
- Book officiant.
- Select and reserve bridal consultant.
- Choose attendants.
- Begin shopping for dress & accessories.
6 to 9 Months Before the Wedding
- Begin compiling guest list.
- Shop for wedding rings.
- Purchase dress and schedule fittings.
- Order invitations, announcements and thank-you notes.
- Select and reserve principal vendors: caterer, baker, photographer/videographer, florist, entertainment for ceremony and reception.
- Book transportation service to/from ceremony and reception.
- Select and order bridesmaids’ and groomsmen’s attire.
- Consult with travel agent for honeymoon trip. Apply for passports if needed.
- Reserve accommodations for out-of-town guests.
4 to 6 Months Before the Wedding
- Register for gifts.
- Complete guest list.
- Purchase additional wedding day apparel/accessories: veil, shoes, lingerie, jewelry, gloves, going-away outfit, etc.
- Help mothers select dresses.
- Schedule rehearsal and select and book location for rehearsal dinner.
- Schedule vacation time from work.
2 to 4 Months Before the Wedding
- Purchase ceremony and reception accessories: wedding favors, guest book, toasting glasses, ring pillow, etc.
- Check marriage license requirements.
- Choose readings for ceremony.
- Revise legal documents if taking your fiance’s name: driver’s license, voter’s card, Social Security card, leases, bank, credit card issuers, insurance policies, wills, etc. You might also need to update your name change with your employer.
- Get ceremony programs printed.
The Month Before the Wedding
- Mail invitations.
- Pick up dress.
- Finalize reception seating chart.
- Confirm all bookings and reservations, including attire rental and honeymoon details.
- Obtain marriage license.
- Notify caterer of final guest count.
The Week Before the Wedding
- Break in shoes. Scuff the soles to avoid slipping.
- Organize emergency kit. Pack things like Band-Aids, pain relievers, needle and thread and even dryer sheets to remove static cling.
- Attend rehearsal and dinner.
Your Wedding Day
- Eat breakfast.
- Mail announcements.